DCSEC considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, sex, marital status, veteran or military status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Challenge Paraprofessional Job ID 662
Under the direct supervision of a certified staff member, to assist certified professional staff with students with emotional/behavioral needs in the classroom to meet instructional goals and objectives. Students are served on a self-contained campus serving students throughout the Denton County Special Education Cooperative.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assists and guides students to reinforce reading, language arts, mathematics, computer instruction, and other skills
- Works with students individually and in small groups to reinforce basic learning and implement assigned programs.
- Assists professional staff in the administration and correction of classroom exercises, tests and assessments.
- Assists in classroom preparations and strategies for reinforcing instructional materials and skills according to individual student needs.
- Assists with record-keeping procedures to document student learning and performance.
- Assists with classroom behavioral management to minimize disruptions, ensure a safe and orderly classroom, and ensure students are on task.
- Assists students in non-instructional areas, such as supervising the student lunch programs, bus duty, corridor, study hall, and other related non-instructional areas.
- Accompanies students on field trips for the purpose of assisting with supervision.
- Constructs, copies and distribute and use educational materials as needed.
- Assists teacher with parent contact as requested to foster effective and participatory parent involvement in student education.
- Assists students with special needs in all aspects of classroom instruction to maximize inclusion, learning, achievement if IEP objectives, etc.
- Participates in IEP process and serves as resource for the student personnel evaluation team as needed.
- Assist students with physical or mental disabilities with activities of daily living for the purpose of maximizing their ability to participate in school or learning activities.
- Follows all applicable safety rules, procedures and regulations governing the proper manner of assistance for all students, including those with disabilities or other special needs.
- Assist guidance, pupil services staff or building administration, as needed.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g., Word, Excel).
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding students, employees and others.
- Ability to establish a supportive and compassionate relationship with students with special needs.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff and others contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to report work orally or in writing to supervisor as required.
- Effective writing and verbal communication skills.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
- Works in standard office and school building environments.
- Works with adolescents with aggressive behavior.
- Ability to work outdoors during outdoor student activities.
- Any combination of educational and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Successful completion of college level coursework or passing of examination as required by the No Child Left Behind Act.
- Prefer candidates with experience or training in working with children with learning disabilities and/or behavioral issues. Experience working with adolescents with aggressive behavior helpful.
Other Information: The Challenge Program is a Special Education Behavioral Adjustment Program in Sanger, TX serving students from various individual independent school districts in the area.
FLSA Status: Non-exempt