Butterfield Elementary School

Return to Headlines

Pre-Kindergarten Program

Sanger I.S.D. offers a half day program for eligible 3- and 4-year old students.
In order for a child to attend the prekindergarten program, the child must meet one of the eligibility requirements, provide acceptable proof of identification and age, and provide proof of residency in Sanger I.S.D. (current water or electric bill.)
To be eligible for enrollment in a prekindergarten class, a child must be three or four years of age on September 1 of the current school year and must be:
  • unable to speak and comprehend the English language; (TEST WILL BE ADMINISTERED) or
  • educationally disadvantaged; or
  • homeless, as defined by 42 U.S.C. Section 11302, regardless of the residence of the child, of either parent of the child, or of the child's guardian or other person having lawful control of the child; or
  • the child of an active duty member of the armed services of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority; or
  • In 2007, the Texas Legislature amended Section 29.153 of the Texas Education Code to include among those who are eligible for free prekindergarten, children who are in or who have ever been in the conservatorship of the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) following an adversary hearing. This includes not only children who are in or who have been in DFPS conservatorship, but also children who have been adopted or returned to their parents after being in DFPS conservatorship.
What is the definition of "educationally disadvantaged?"
The term, "educationally disadvantaged," means eligible to participate in the national free or reduced-price lunch program.
In order for a student to qualify for the National Free or Reduced Price Lunch Program, the student's family is required to provide the school district with current income level documentation. Households must submit documents that show current income, meaning income received by the household during the month prior to verification. The document must contain the name of the household member(s), amount, and the date the income was received. A pay stub with no date would be insufficient. Gross income to be reported is any money received on a recurring basis including gross earned income. Specifically, gross income means all money earned before any deductions, such as income taxes, employee's social security taxes, insurance premiums, bonds, and charitable contributions.
Income must include the amount family members receive from welfare, child support, alimony, pensions, retirement, Social Security, Worker's Compensation, unemployment, strike benefits, Veteran's benefits, disability benefits, regular contributions from people who do not live in your household and ANY OTHER INCOME.
Acceptable documentation for earnings (wages and salary) is:
  • Current paycheck stub
  • Current pay envelope
  • Letter from employer stating gross wages and how often they are paid
Acceptable documentation for self-employment income is:
  • Business or farming documents, such as ledger books and/or self-issued paycheck stub
  • Last year's tax return
Acceptable documentation for cash income is:
  • A letter from the employer stating wages paid and frequency
Are school districts required to provide transportation for a prekindergarten program?
No. A district is not required to provide transportation for a prekindergarten class.
Are children who qualify for the prekindergarten program required to attend?
No. Children who qualify for the prekindergarten program do not have to attend. However, on enrollment in prekindergarten, a child shall (must) attend school. Attendance laws apply to prekindergarten students and truancy can be filed for nonattendance/tardies.
What documents are considered acceptable for proof of identification and age?
The documents considered acceptable for proof of identification and age are:
  • Birth Certificate
  • Passport
  • Military ID
  • School ID card, records, or report card
  • Hospital birth record
  • Adoption records
  • Church baptismal record; or
  • Any other legal document that established identity